Fall Lecture Series: "The Mariners’ Museum Park: The Early Years, 1929-1936"
- Free with Museum Admission: $-
In 1929, Mariners’ Museum founder Archer Huntington decided to surround the Museum with a forested park and grounds to encompass the Waters Creek watershed. The creek was dammed to form Lake Maury, the centerpiece of the modern Mariners’ Museum Park. The extensive writings and maps relating to the park’s planning, landscaping, and planting demonstrate the immense effort and attention to detail that went into creating this “central park” of the Peninsula. Master Gardener and Tree Steward Rand Milam has been working in the Park for over a year: surveying tree species, photographing flora, identifying potential problems, measuring trees, and researching the Park’s history. In this special presentation, he will share his work and help us understand the Park’s historical and botanical significance.