Entrance to Berkeley

Berkeley Plantation

12602 Harrison Landing Road (Located on Rt. 5)
Charles City, VA 23030
United States
Overview

In 1619 the Good Ship Margaret landed at Berkeley with thirty-six men aboard.  In accordance with the instructions given in the charter by the Virginia Company, these settlers observed the first official English Thanksgiving in the New World. In 1691, the Harrisons purchased Berkeley and in 1726 built the three-story Georgian mansion. The estate is the birthplace of Benjamin Harrison V, signer of the Declaration of Independence and W.H. Harrison, ninth U.S. president. During the Civil War, the  Union Army occupied the plantation. While at Berkeley, General Daniel Butterfield, with the help of his bugler, O.W. Norton, created "Taps".   Native American, colonial and Civil War artifacts, along with historical paintings and exhibits can be explored in the eighteenth-century museum.  Costumed guides conduct tours of the 1726 mansion. Grounds tours are self-guided and include monuments and gardens leading to the James River. Open daily, year-round.